Wilmington Triathlon Race Recap

It had been several weeks since my last race, and I could feel a bit of rust in both my pre-race prep and in my performance. I didn’t expect to kill this race, as I found it more important to shake the rust off for Augusta rather than peak for this little sprint.

I got there late and had very little time to set up my transition area and warmup. In fact, as soon as I pulled my bike out of the car I noticed that my front tube was flat, which meant I had about 5 minutes to throw my spare on and get over to the swim start. I managed to get the tube changed and get ready for the race, but it cost me my warmup, which is something I value tremendously. Had this been an earlier race, I probably would have panicked and missed my start, but having been through various stressful pre-race situations, I was able to pull it together. I got to the swim start at 7:01…my wave went at 7:05. Close call!


This swim was the strangest I’d experienced this season, as it was a 1500m swim that relied on the current to reduce the length. We swam through a causeway, which was filled with boats and docking areas, making it very difficult to sight and to stay on course. There were also a lot of people in my wave, so the crowd was pretty big and the water very choppy.

I took it easy ont he swim because I wasn’t sure where I was going, and I could feel the current pull me to the side near the docks. I couldn’t tell if I was on course or off, but I knew I had to be close because I saw a few blue caps in front of me. Rather than panic and try to speed up, I just kept sighting the best I could and hoped that I’d make it to the end with a good time.

Unfortunately, my time wasn’t very good (28:22, which includes a long run to the mat), but I came out feeling pretty good knowing that I still had plenty in the tank. My T1 time was 1:18.


The bike was interesting, as I had another issue with my skewer not being strong enough to keep the wheel out of the cutout (I need to check my limiter screw), but I only lost a minute or two there. I pushed hard and tried to stay with anyone that passed me on this flat course. I passed several people and was wishing I had more time to catch up when I reached the dismount line at 35:45. I spent 1:28 in T2 and moved quickly to the run.


I came out pretty fast on the run and noticed that I ran my first mile in just under 7 minutes. There was a time when I thought I would run the 5k in under 22 minutes, but I fell a bit short of that goal. Again, I passed quite a few people and tried to keep up with anyone that passed me by. The run also felt rather quick…I came in at 22:33 for a total time of 1:29:25, which was 264 male division, 468 overall (1300 people entered this one), and 35/71 AG.

The key for me in this race was to improve my NCTS standings, but more importantly get ready for Augusta. I realized rather quickly that I was a bit flat because I was still peaking for next weekend, but overall I’m happy with the result. I’m currently 11th AG in the NCTS this year, and I think that I can reach 10th with a strong showing at Pinehurst in October.


4 Responses to “Wilmington Triathlon Race Recap”

  1. Stevie Dee on September 25th, 2009 8:52 pm

    Dude, I hate to say this, but with times like that, I don’t think you can make it to “pro” status. It might be time to focus your energy elsewhere.

    Not trying to hate. Just trying to be real.

  2. The Triathlon Man on September 25th, 2009 9:09 pm

    Only time will tell ;)

  3. Bachelor on October 21st, 2009 3:47 am

    Learn to love pain and you’ll get faster. I stumbled across ur blog. Are you sponsored in any way? If ur still in the military I suggest floating a letter to PR & mention ur blog.

  4. The Triathlon Man on October 21st, 2009 4:41 am

    I’ll definitely be working on that this off season. Still in the military, but hadn’t tried to get any sponsors. I have thought about it though.

Leave a Reply